Natamycin, also known as pimaricin, commonly used for yeast and mould prevention. It is easily added to food to prevent the spread of yeasts and moulds in products like cheese, yogurt, drinking yogurt, processed meat, juice, wine, sauce and baked goods.
This Pimaripro product is a natural and safe antimicrobial additive that can greatly extend the shelf life of food products. It is easy to apply and can be sprayed directly onto the product or the product may be dipped into the solution. Unlike other preservatives, it penetrates deep into the interior of the product, eliminating the need for additional applications.
In the hot climates of the Middle East and Caucasian Mountains, molds and fungi often multiply in low cost manufacturing facilities. Because the spores are invisible to the human eye, the damage that these organisms cause is often not seen until infected products spoil at the retail level. Use of the reliable and inexpensive food preservative Pimaripro before packaging processed food products prevents mold and fungi from growing and extends the shelf life of treated products.
What makes natamycin stand out?
Its ability to preserve without damaging the taste or texture of the food. It only takes a small amount of the additive to increase a foods shelf life. Also, Pimaripro is non-toxic, which means there are no health risks associated with it when used in the low amounts needed in food manufacturing.
Natamycin works by damaging the membranes of fungal cells after it quickly binds to these harmful cells. This means that the structures that are necessary for the fungi to live are drawn out of the cells. Once these necessary structures are removed from basic fungal cells, the fungi cannot survive. World health agencies, including the WHO and the U.S. FDA, as well as the health regulators of the EU, accept the safety of natamycin and allow its use in food products.
What are the benefits of Natamycin and pimaricin?
• It is a reliable inhibitor safe for human consumption
• Naturally derived, it is marketable and label friendly
• Manufacturers can use a low dosage, resulting in cost effective manufacturing
• Food products containing this Pimaripro additive are more visually appealing for consumers. They do not have the discoloration or foul odor of stale, decomposing food.
• Manufacturers can enjoy greater profitability from the steady sale of products
• When used for yeast and mould prevention, this pimaricin additive can reduce product returns
• It is efficient and easy to apply in small quantities by spraying or dipping
• It can replace expensive traditional chemical preservatives for more cost effective manufacturing
• It can be used as a cream or in lozenge form to treat fungal infections
• This Pimaripro product lacks acute toxicity and little or none is absorbed by the body
• Animal studies on dogs, cows, and rats show that doses of 500mg/kg/day caused no observable differences in survival rate or tumor growth when used for over two years
• Studies show that the amount absorbed into the blood is negligible. There is not a great risk of it interacting with other medications.
• Small amounts of the product may be used in medicines for cost effective manufacturing
Natamycin or pimaricin, when used for yeast and mould prevention, caters to modern consumers’ demands for natural food products without heavy chemical additions. This natural additive can extend the shelf life of products, minimize returns, and prevent the changes in odor, texture, and color commonly found in stale or moldy food. When used in medicine, it is a safe and natural way to destroy fungus with minimal side effects.